Thursday, May 24, 2018

The VNS

I've been leaving you in suspense, waiting to get to the real intense shit. Well, let's start shall we?

In 2014, our department at work made some changes. I was now a Student Success Coach. It was like being an adviser at a University. It was incredible. I loved my job even more! I had been there for a year and even had a few awards!

Some upsetting things happened though. I had over a thousand students that were just mine, to plan their classes to graduation and get them registered. It was hard to keep up.

Then the Phoenix gave up on me. I was making excellent money, the most I ever had in my life! But that was not the time to have to trade in the Phoenix for a new car payment. I had Storm now. My newly used silver Toyota Camry. So grown up. She was great on gas mileage, but she wasn't the Phoenix.

I had a different boss, an awesome boss who was very understanding and made sure that I had help keeping up. My team was great too, awesome peers. We all had each other's backs. My team took on their own students and mine too. Everyone now had to know I had epilepsy. I was so grateful but also disappointed in myself. I could feel that I was losing this battle for control.

I had to have another VEEG. This time, I had to take my FMLA. All of it. Ultimately, this was the end of my promising career

It was in November that I was checked for my second VEEG. I stayed longer this time. I still didn't have a grand mal, but Dr. Barken felt we had enough information from the EEG to present my case to the surgical board.

I was scheduled to have the VNS implant in January 2015. This was my first surgery, I was surprisingly calm. The nurse started asking me to talk about myself, I think...then I was all done. So that's how being put under works! I was super loopy but felt faaaabulous!

Dr. House said that most people didn't need to take the pain meds after the surgery. I'm guessing they were super heroes? I was in SO much pain!

I was laid up for about a week. The VNS wouldn't be activated for another month. Activated, so weird like I'm a robot. It was clear that I wasn't going back to work. Joel and I moved back in together. I filed for disability, six months later I was officially disabled. Didn't see that in my future...ever.

In February 2015, I was activated. They let me know that it would take some time to make adjustments. I had been on Depakote for six months now. I had gained fifty pounds during that time. Depakote was no longer Jekyll, it was Hyde. Hyde on steroids. Ready to start some fun? Let's go.


DON'T FORGET TO CLICK FOLLOW TO GET UPDATES ON NEW POSTS!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a Bunch of Hocus Pocus

So who the hell lit the black flame candle that just effed up my Halloween?? ;) You gotta love that movie, if you don't your childhood...